Thursday, August 9, 2012

Homemade Cream of___Soup Mix:

I don't know about you, but I think almost everything we used to make, had a can of cream of ___ soup in it!! It's definitely been an adjustment having to leave behind all the recipes we used to have on a regular basis and turn down amazing looking recipes we find now, just because of one simple ingredient.

Well, thankfully, that's about to change! I just found an easy, delicious, homemade substitute for a can of cream of ___ soup!!! I definitely hope you will take 5 minutes and try this out, because I can think for 5 hours about all the recipe options this will open up for us!! I hope you enjoy it! Let me know what you think!

Homemade Cream-Style Soup Mix Recipe

2 cups dry milk powder
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup chicken bouillon granules (make sure to check the label!)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Whisk altogether until well combined and free of lumps. Store in an airtight container.

To make the equivalent to a (10-3/4 oz.) can condensed cream of ___ soup:
Whisk together 1/3 cup soup mix with 1-1/4 cups water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil (stirring constantly) and boil 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool.

Note:
-This alone is a perfect substitute when a recipe calls for a can of cream of chicken, cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup. If you like, add some very finely chopped mushrooms to make it more like cream of mushroom soup, and some finely chopped, cooked celery to make it more like cream of celery soup!

1 comment:

Cathy said...


Thanks for a great alternative to cream of ____ soup. This seems simple enough to use all the time. We aren't gluten intolerant, but some of our friends are. This will make my recipes safe for them to enjoy! I wondered though,does this make an equivalent of one can of diluted OR undiluted soup. Would I need to add an additional 10 3/4 oz of water for it to be diluted?