Monday, May 19, 2014

Orange Carrot Jello Salad:

My Grandma used to make this salad and I always loved it!!!
If you have never tired it or heard of it, it may sound weird having carrots in your Jello, but trust me, it's really good!!! It couldn't be any easier to make, and it's super yummy!
I couldn't find grandma's recipe in our recipe boxes anywhere, so I'm not sure if this is the exact recipe she used, but it tastes identical to me and reminds me so much of her, with every bite I take!
I hope you'll give it a try!!
 
 
2 (3 oz.) packages Orange Gelatin
2 cups boiling water
1 (20 oz.) can Crushed Pineapple
2 tblsp. lemon juice
Cold Water
1/4 tsp. salt, optional
1 & 1/2 cups finely shredded or grated carrots
 
In a medium bowl, gently stir gelatin and boiling water until gelatin is dissolved. Drain the pineapple, reserving the juice; set the pineapple aside. Combine lemon juice and pineapple juice. Add enough cold water to equal 2 cups. Stir in salt, if desired. Stir into gelatin mixture. Chill until slightly set (1-2 hours). Stir in pineapple and carrots. Mix well. Pour into serving bowl and chill until set. Serve!
 
 
 
 
 
 


6 comments:

Rosemary said...

This "sunshine salad" is one of my favorites.

Karissa Brazeal said...

Thanks, Rosemary! I've never heard it called sunshine salad, but I love that!

sunyinfla said...

My mother used to make it and I have her recipe. You have it right. She did allow the jello to set up a bit as the fruit will slow that process. She always added a dollop of miracle whip after she plated it, too.

Unknown said...

What size dish is used here? An 8 inch square or a 9 x 13 rectangle?

Unknown said...

My grandma also made this. It's delicious & goes great with spiral ham, baked beans & potato salad. She made it the same way & just as it was setting she would decorate the top with marachino cherry halves. Looked so pretty on the table and was so refreshing to eat !

Megan said...

Can I make this with a jello mold?