Monday, June 1, 2015

My Grandma's Sloppy Joe's:

So, I really like Sloppy Joe's. A lot. I always have. It used to be something we had a lot during the Fall (I'm sure we had them other times, too, it's just that time of year stands out to me!). Dad liked to go hunting, and where I live, that means it was cold! So mom would generally make Sloppy Joe's and have them in the crock-pot, ready for whenever Dad would pop in for something to eat. And as a side note, that was before we had cell phones, so it's not like he could call and say he was on his way. I just thought that was kind of an odd, funny, weird, random thing that I wanted to point out.
Anyways, I've been making this recipe for Sloppy Joe's for years now, but as it turns out, it's been the wrong recipe!! Not the one my mom used to make!
So I dug up the old recipe and decided to try it out!
They turned out fantastic, actually, and pretty much my entire family loved them way more than what I've been making! I still like the old version too, but this one definitely brings back more memories!!
I hope you try them out and enjoy them as much as we do!


3 pounds ground beef
3/4 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
2 tblsp. sugar
1 tblsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. salt
1 bottle Heinz Chili sauce

Brown beef in a large skillet until no longer pink; drain. Meanwhile, place celery and onion in a microwave safe dish and cover with water. Microwave on high until the water begins to boil - allow to boil for 30 seconds; drain. Add celery and onion mixture to ground beef and stir until well combined. In a small dish, whisk together tomato sauce, sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add to beef mixture. Pour the chili sauce into the meat mixture. Fill the bottle 1/2 full of water and shake well; add to meat mixture. Cook and stir over low heat. Cover and simmer until ready to serve.

Note:
-How fine you chop your celery and onion is up to you, but please don't leave it out! It adds SO much flavor!
-Prepare this ahead of time and place it in the crockpot on warm or low until ready to serve!
-This freezes really, really well.
-We love this served on a slice of THIS BREAD.
-Some of us also like to add a slice of cheese, but that's purely optional!
-This amount would serve my family for two meals, so I like to make it once, and freeze half for another day.

post signature

No comments: