Monday, November 11, 2013

Baked Tacos:

When I was little, there were very few things that I didn't like to eat. I can actually only think of two things - sweet potatoes and tacos. I have no clue why!! My older sister was my idol, and if she liked it, I ate it! I even ate things I didn't like, just because she ate them! Really, it was a good thing, because it made me try new things and not be a picky eater. But tacos, that just wasn't happening, no matter how much I wanted to be like my sister!! Fast forward a few years, and I have no clue what changed or how, but tacos are one of my favorite foods ever! I could eat taco salad every single day and be fine with that! However, some members of my family (who all like tacos), get tired of taco salad! Like, REALLY tired! I don't understand, but they tell me it's possible!! So when I saw this recipe, I knew I had to give it a try and I'm so glad I did! They turned out so good and were a really fun change of pace and my whole family loved them! The melted cheese helped the meat stay in, and baking the shells for a few minutes, made them slightly soft so they didn't crumble to pieces! 
I hope you try them out!
 
           

2 lbs. ground beef
2 packages taco seasoning + water called for  (see note)
18 hard taco shells (see note)
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Shredded lettuce
Diced onion
Diced tomato
Salsa
Sour Cream
Ranch Dressing
(Whatever you like to put on a taco)
 
In a large skillet, brown beef until no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning and water and bring to a boil. Cook and stir until most of the liquid is evaporated.
Fill taco shells with a couple tablespoons of the meat mixture (not too full, because you want to have room for other toppings). Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and place on a cookie sheet, kind of overlapping, if you can tell from the picture above. Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and meat is hot through.
Serve with your favorite taco toppings!!
 
Note:
-This makes 18 tacos, which is what I made for my family, so you may what to adjust the recipe if you are cooking for a smaller or larger group.
-Make sure to check your taco seasoning, if you want it to be gluten-free! Lots of mixes have wheat/gluten in them. Our favorite is McCormick's taco seasoning. We buy it in a huge container at Sam's Club.
 
-Check your taco shells for hidden wheat/gluten as well. Here's the ones we liked:
 
-Recipe adapted from: SixSistersStuff.com
-For the record, I still don't like Sweet Potatoes! Unless it's sweet potato casserole, and with all the other stuff in there, I'm pretty sure it doesn't count!!
 
post signature

No comments: