Monday, June 2, 2014

Twice-Baked Potato Casserole

 
I love to cook. If I couldn't cook, I don't know what I would do! But, I've run into a problem.
I have found that it's really hard to cook for my family. There are some pretty picky people in this house, and instead of growing out of it, I think it's getting worse and worse!!! But apart from that, I have a really hard time with amounts! I've mentioned before that, according to most recipes, I cook for 4 servings. But there are 7 people here! So I usually start with one amount, look at if for a while and conclude that there's no way it will be enough, so I add in some more. And it never fails that we'll be eating off that dish for days and days! I don't know if I'll ever get it right!
So, as usual, I made too many mashed potatoes for dinner the other day, and I was trying to figure out what to do with them before they went bad. I came across a recipe similar to this, changed it around a little bit to our tastes and it turned out pretty good! It was really fast too, considering I was using potatoes that were already prepared. I've never made Twice-Baked Potatoes, but I've had them at my Aunt's house, and LOVE them! This casserole really tasted like Twice-Baked Potatoes, only it was way less work!!!
I hope you give it a try!!!
 
 
3 cups prepared mashed potatoes (mine were instant! Shhh, don't tell my dad!)
1/2 cup ranch dressing
1/2 cup cooked, crumbled bacon
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
 
In a large bowl, combine potatoes, ranch dressing, and 1 cup cheddar cheese.
In a small skillet, sauté onions and bacon until onions start to brown and get a little tender. Stir in garlic. Add to potatoes and mix well. The potatoes were pretty thick because they were cold, so I used a hand mixer to mix it all together. You could just use a spatula instead, if you wanted.
Pour into a greased baking dish and spread evenly. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Top with remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Serve!! 
 
Note:
-You could have this all made ahead and ready in the fridge.
Just pull it out and pop it in the oven when you're ready for it!
 
 

No comments: