Monday, April 14, 2014

Sweet Potato & Apple Gratin:

 I think I've said it before, but I'm not a huge fan of sweet potatoes. They are like white chocolate to me. I love the idea of them, and so I just keep trying them, thinking that I might eventually like them! Well, it hasn't happened with white chocolate yet, but it worked with this sweet potato dish at least! It was very different from anything I've ever had, and I really did like it! I fixed it for Valentines Day, and my whole family really liked it!
Hope you give it a try!
 
 
 
 
3 tblsp. butter, divided
1 small onion, finely diced
3 tblsp. cornstarch
2 cups chicken broth
dash of salt and pepper
2 & 1/2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled (about 4 medium)
2 gala or golden delicious apples, peeled, quartered and cored
1 cup gingersnap cookie crumbs (click HERE for my recipe)
 
In a medium sauce pan, melt 2 tblsp. butter. Add onion; cook and stir for 6-7 minutes or until golden brown. Whisk in cornstarch, salt and pepper. Gradually pour in broth and whisk until smooth. Simmer until it reaches a boil and thickens slightly. Set aside.
Using and food processor with a slicing blade, or a mandolin slicer, thinly slice the potatoes and apples. In a greased baking dish, layer half of the potatoes and all of the apples. Top with half of the onion sauce. Layer with the rest of the potatoes and finish with the remaining sauce.
Cover tightly with foil, and bake at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender with poked with a fork. In a small bowl, melt the remaining 1 tblsp. butter. Add cookie crumbs and mix until well combined. Sprinkle over potatoes and bake for 25 minutes more.
Serve!!
 
Note:
-The original recipe said that you could bake it the first time, let it cool and keep it in your fridge for a day or two. Set it out for an hour, top with cookie crumbs and bake until warm through. I did not try this, so I don't know how well it does or doesn't work, but I just wanted to let you know, incase anyone wants to try it!
-We served it with Ham, but I'm sure any Meat main dish would go well.
-The original recipe I think said it served 6-8, but I will half the recipe the next time I make it for my family! It really makes a lot!!
 
 
 

 
 
post signature

No comments: