Monday, April 21, 2014

Cheesy Rice Bake:

We had a TON of leftover, cooked rice the other day, and I knew we would never eat it all before it went bad. I was trying to figure out what to do with it, and there is surprisingly few recipes out there that use cooked rice! Lots that use uncooked rice, but that wasn't going to help me out!
I stumbled across a recipe similar to this one, and decided to try it. I figured my family wouldn't love it, but they would eat it, and at least we wouldn't have to throw out a ton of rice.
I threw it altogether and stuck it in the oven.
Would you believe that my family loved this stuff?!?!!!
I couldn't believe it! It really tasted surprisingly yummy!! We ate almost the entire pan in one meal! I'll definitely be making this again and I hope you'll try it out as well!
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. dried parsley
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 cup shredded Velveeta cheese (see note)
4 cups cooked rice (see note)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley and pepper. Stir in the Velveeta cheese and rice. Mix until well combined.
Pour into a greased, casserole dish.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and bake 10 minutes longer.
Serve!
Note:
-The original recipe called for cheddar cheese, not Velveeta cheese, but I don't like the grainy texture that pre-shredded cheddar cheese gives, so I highly recommend the Velveeta. Make sure it is good and cold, and it should shred fairly easily. I did use the cheddar for on top, because I think it works fine like that, but you can do whatever you want.
-My cooked rice was minute rice, but I don't think it would really matter at all what kind you use, as long as it's cooked!
-You don't need a huge casserole dish, but make sure it's big enough, so that your rice mixture does not come to the top of the pan. It bubbles a little while it's baking, and if your dish is too full, it may boil over!

No comments: