Monday, April 7, 2014

Cracker Jacks:

My mom used to make this for special occasions and it was the second thing she taught me and my sister how to make! It always reminds me of Thanksgiving at grandma's house! I hate to brag, but I feel like you need to know, it tastes 10 times better than what you buy in that box at the store! I honestly didn't know those even existed until a several years ago. I tried some, and after one bite, I knew why! Now, I'm not talking about Caramel Corn like you get in the tins at Christmas time! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all three flavors in those tins!!
But still, this recipe is so good, and really so easy!
I actually thought I already had it on the blog, but I went to make some for a movie night with some friends last week, and I realized I hadn't posted it!
I hope you try it out and enjoy it as much as we do!
 
 
2 cups brown sugar
2 sticks butter
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
6 quarts popped, popcorn
 
Place popcorn in a very large bowl and set aside.
In a medium saucepan, bring sugar, butter and corn syrup to a boil; boil and stir (with a whisk is best) for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla (see note).
Pour the sauce over the popcorn, and gently stir until evenly coated.
Pour into a large, greased pan (see note).
Bake at 200 degrees for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Flip out onto a counter top or table top and spread out evenly to cool, breaking larger chunks into smaller ones.
Let cool completely and store in an airtight container.
Enjoy!
 
Note:
-Be careful when you stir in the baking soda and vanilla, because it will bubble up! It scares me every time!  
-A foil pan works fabulous for this!
-If we make a bunch of this, which we normally do, we like to store it in one of those popcorn tins!
 
post signature

No comments: