Monday, April 28, 2014

Lots of Layers Green Salad:

A lady at our church (Mrs. Helmick) has brought a 7-layer-salad to a few potlucks, and we always LOVE when she does! It's so, so good! We had never tried a recipe for it before and Mrs. Helmick doesn't really have a recipe, so when I saw this salad, I knew we had to make it!
It turned out amazing and we absolutely loved it!! It was super easy and goes together very fast! It makes a lot, so it's perfect for a big party or get-together!
Don't be afraid of the peas or the dressing!!! It all goes together so well, and totally makes the salad!
Please excuse the pictures! The dish I put it in, was a little dark, so you can't see the layers quite as well! But trust me, it's super yummy, and I hope you give it a try!!
 



1 & 1/2 hearts romaine lettuce, chopped
2 cups baby spinach
Salt and pepper, to taste
10 whole hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 (12 ounce) package bacon, cooked and chopped
4 tomatoes, chopped (1 carton cherry tomatoes)
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 (10 ounce) bag frozen peas
 
1/2 cup real mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
2 Tablespoons sugar
 
In a large glass bowl, layer salad ingredients in order listed above.  Combine dressing ingredients in a separate bowl and whisk together until combined.  Pour over the top of the peas and spread to cover.  Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.

Note:
-This looks SO, SO pretty in a big, clear punch bowl or trifle bowl, but it makes it hard to get all of the layers! That's why I like to put it in a 9x13 pan, or some other big, shallow dish. You can do whatever you want, though, and it will still be great!
-My family doesn't really care for Iceberg lettuce at all, but if you like it, you can use 1 head of Iceberg instead of romaine if you prefer.
-I LOVE onions (a lot), but not a lot of people do, so sometimes I leave the onions out and just serve them separately for anyone that wants them!
-Tomatoes are the same way as the onions; I love them, but only a couple other people in my family like them as well. It makes the salad look so pretty, though, I hate to leave them out! So, I prefer to use cherry tomatoes, that way if anyone doesn't like them, they can pick them out easily!!   
 

4 comments:

Elin said...

Hello!

Your blog has caught our attention because of the quality of the recipes. We would be delighted if you would join us at http://www.mytaste.com/ so that we could link to it.

myTaste.com is a search engine that compiles the best American cooking sites and blogs from the Internet. Several hundred blogs are already enrolled here and are taking benefit from the traffic we are sending to their sites.

To join myTaste, just go to http://www.mytaste.com/add-your-food-blog

Best regards,
Elin
MyTaste.com

Karissa Wagner said...

Elin,
Wow! Thank you so much for inviting me to join MyTaste! I have seen it before, but didn't really understand that others could join! I will absolutely be joining as soon as I get a chance! Thanks again for inviting me and for you sweet comment!

Jennifer Johnson said...

Sounds like a great dish for a summer BBQ!

Karissa Wagner said...

Jennifer, It would be AMAZING for a summer BBQ! What a great idea! So cool and refreshing! Thanks for stopping by!