Monday, April 28, 2014

Lots of Layers Green Salad:

A lady at our church (Mrs. Helmick) has brought a 7-layer-salad to a few potlucks, and we always LOVE when she does! It's so, so good! We had never tried a recipe for it before and Mrs. Helmick doesn't really have a recipe, so when I saw this salad, I knew we had to make it!
It turned out amazing and we absolutely loved it!! It was super easy and goes together very fast! It makes a lot, so it's perfect for a big party or get-together!
Don't be afraid of the peas or the dressing!!! It all goes together so well, and totally makes the salad!
Please excuse the pictures! The dish I put it in, was a little dark, so you can't see the layers quite as well! But trust me, it's super yummy, and I hope you give it a try!!
 



1 & 1/2 hearts romaine lettuce, chopped
2 cups baby spinach
Salt and pepper, to taste
10 whole hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 (12 ounce) package bacon, cooked and chopped
4 tomatoes, chopped (1 carton cherry tomatoes)
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 (10 ounce) bag frozen peas
 
1/2 cup real mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
2 Tablespoons sugar
 
In a large glass bowl, layer salad ingredients in order listed above.  Combine dressing ingredients in a separate bowl and whisk together until combined.  Pour over the top of the peas and spread to cover.  Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.

Note:
-This looks SO, SO pretty in a big, clear punch bowl or trifle bowl, but it makes it hard to get all of the layers! That's why I like to put it in a 9x13 pan, or some other big, shallow dish. You can do whatever you want, though, and it will still be great!
-My family doesn't really care for Iceberg lettuce at all, but if you like it, you can use 1 head of Iceberg instead of romaine if you prefer.
-I LOVE onions (a lot), but not a lot of people do, so sometimes I leave the onions out and just serve them separately for anyone that wants them!
-Tomatoes are the same way as the onions; I love them, but only a couple other people in my family like them as well. It makes the salad look so pretty, though, I hate to leave them out! So, I prefer to use cherry tomatoes, that way if anyone doesn't like them, they can pick them out easily!!   
 

3 comments:

Karissa Brazeal said...

Elin,
Wow! Thank you so much for inviting me to join MyTaste! I have seen it before, but didn't really understand that others could join! I will absolutely be joining as soon as I get a chance! Thanks again for inviting me and for you sweet comment!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great dish for a summer BBQ!

Karissa Brazeal said...

Jennifer, It would be AMAZING for a summer BBQ! What a great idea! So cool and refreshing! Thanks for stopping by!