Monday, January 27, 2014

Swedish Meatballs

I've had this recipe on the blog almost since the beginning, but I made a few adjustments and got a picture since then, so I thought it was time for an update! My family used to eat Swedish meatballs all the time, but we just made them out the McCormick mix you buy at the store, which of course has gluten in it. I found this recipe, and after some adjusting, it tastes just as good as the mix, and it's really not hard to make at all! As with most of my recipes, even if you're not following a gluten-free diet, you can still enjoy this dish! I hope you try it out and enjoy it as much as we do! Let me know what you think!
 
 
 
Now, before I get into the directions, I need to explain that this makes about 60 meatballs, and that's enough for my family for at least two meals. So, when I make this, I use half the meatballs, and freeze the rest for another meal. If you want to fix this using all the meatballs, you will need to double the sauce recipe.
 
Meatballs:
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups crushed cornflakes
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup parsley
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon allspice or nutmeg
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground sausage

In a large bowl, combine all meatball ingredients except the beef and sausage. Mix together. Add meat and mix (with your hands is the best way, but you could also use a hand mixer) until everything is well blended. Shape into 1-inch balls using a cookie scoop. Place on a greased broiler pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until lightly browned on the outside and no longer pink in the center. Remove meatballs to a baking sheet and let cool. Once they are cool, place in the freezer and allow to freeze for about 1-2 hours. Remove from the cookie sheet and place in a ziplock bag and freeze until ready to use!

Sauce for half the meatballs:
4 tblsp. butter
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 tblsp. beef seasoning
1/8 tsp. pepper
5 cups milk

In a large skillet or saucepan, melt butter. Combine cornstarch, beef seasoning, and pepper. Whisk into melted butter. Gradually whisk in the milk. Cook and stir over high heat until thickened and bubbly; stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and add meatballs. Cook and stir until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley for garnish, if desired, and serve over hot cooked rice!

Note:
-I personally think that turkey sausage works the best in this recipe, because it tends to help the meatballs stay together better, but regular pork sausage works good as well.
-I would recommend partially thawing your meatballs, if they were frozen, before adding them to the sauce.

 


No comments: