Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Apple Coffee Cake:

We have a ton of apples right now,
and I am SO enjoying find things to do with them!
I was looking through apple recipes, and came across this cake.
It sounded good, so I gave it a try and it turned out great!
I'm not a coffee drinker, but they told me it would be great for breakfast with a cup of coffee.
I did eat it for breakfast and it was good, so I can vouch for that part! 
I hope you give it a try!

Picture of Apple Coffee Cake with Crumble Topping and Brown Sugar Glaze Recipe

Cake:
1 stick (8 tblsp.) butter, softened slightly
1 & 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 & 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 & 1/2 cups apples, peeled and chopped

In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, xanthan gum, soda, cinnamon and salt. Add 1/3 of the flour mix to the butter mixture and mix well. Add 1/3 of the sour cream. Repeat both steps two more times until the flour and sour cream are gone. Add the vanilla and mix well. Stir in the apples. Pour into a buttered 9x13 inch baking dish.

Crumb Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup quick oats
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
4 tblsp. butter, softened

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the top of the cake. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. Let cool 10 minutes before moving on to the next step.

Brown Sugar Glaze:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 tblsp. water

Mix all together in a small dish and drizzle over warm cake. Serve or let cool completely. Chill leftovers.

Note:
-You don't want the apples to be too small, but you want them to be slightly smaller than bite size, so that when  you get a bite of apple you also get some cake with it!!!
-The brown sugar glaze was good, but I think next time I make it, I will let it cool a little while longer and then use this powder sugar glaze instead of the brown sugar glaze:
1/2 cup powder sugar
1 tblsp. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla

No comments: