Monday, October 12, 2015

Easy Red Enchiladas:

Okay! Here's the enchilada recipe to go with that fantastic Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce recipe from last week!!

I think I have stated my love of Mexican food here before.
It seems to be a curse, really, because the rest of my family is quite un-enthusiastic about it!
Regardless, it's something that seems to grow bigger and bigger every day.
The more I think about it, the more I want it. And the more I have it, the more I like it!
Enter, these enchiladas. And the ironic thing about this recipe, is that 4 out of the 7 people in my household liked them!! I was so shocked and really excited, but I for one LOVED them!
I've never had red enchiladas at a restaurant before, so I really don't know what they are supposed to taste like, and if these are comparable to what's out there. 
However, they are really easy to make, taste fairly scrumptious, and I hope you try them out!!!!

(This picture is after they are all assembled, but before they are baked)

12-14 corn tortillas (check the label)
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
1 small diced onion
1/2 lb. ground beef
2 tblsp. green chilies, optional
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

In a small saucepan, whisk together the enchilada sauce, tomato paste and onion over medium heat. Cook and stir until well blended and heated through; set aside.
Brown ground beef until no longer pink; drain and set aside.


Pour half of the red sauce in a greased, 9x13-inch baking dish.
Assemble the enchiladas by placing approximately 1 teaspoon each of the beef, and both cheeses in the center of a tortilla. Roll up gently yet tightly and place seam side down over the sauce in the pan.
Repeat until pan is full. Pour remaining red sauce over tortillas. 


Use a spoon to spread it all over each enchilada.  
Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Bake at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted.
Serve!

Note:
-You can also assemble these ahead of time, and refrigerate them overnight. 
Bake according directions.
-If the tortillas are room temperature, they will roll better and not crack open as easily.
-You can use a 16 oz. can of store-bought red enchilada sauce, if you want. However, they are generally not gluten-free.

post signature

No comments: