Monday, March 17, 2014

German Chocolate Cookies:

 I love German Chocolate Cake, but not everyone in my family does, so to take all that time to make a huge cake, that only 3 people will eat, seems kind of pointless. When I stumbled across this recipe, I knew I had to try it!!! They were really easy and actually didn't take that long to make at all! And may I just say, they are amazing!! I loved them!!
I hope you give them a try!

Cookie:
2 sticks butter, room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
2 & 1/4 cup flour
1 & 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1/2 cup baking cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
Dash of salt

In a mixer, cream together butter, sugars, vanilla and eggs. In medium bowl, whisk together flour, xanthan gum, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Gradually add dry ingredients into butter mixture. Mix until well combined. Drop onto greased cookie sheets (I use a cookie scoop). Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool.  

Frosting:
1 can evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
1 stick butter
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup pecans, chopped

In a large saucepan, whisk together milk, sugar, egg yolks, butter and vanilla over medium heat.
Stir until well combined and thickened (this could take anywhere between 3 and 12 minutes, depending on your stove). Once thickened, remove from heat and stir in coconut and pecans. Allow to cool, just until thick enough to spread, stirring often. Place one tablespoonful onto top of each cookie and slightly spread it out. Top with drizzle.

Drizzle:
1/4 cup chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate)
1 tblsp. butter

Place chocolate and butter in a microwave safe dish. Heat at 15 second intervals, stirring after each, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Drizzle over cookies, using a fork.

Note:
-This made about 50 cookies!   

post signature

2 comments:

Patti said...

What kind of flour are you using? Regular flour contains gluten. The recipe looks amazing.

Karissa Brazeal said...

Patti,
Yes, regular flour does contain gluten.
Here is a link to my post about what flour I use http://karissawagner.blogspot.com/2012/02/flour.html
You can, of course, use any gluten-free flour mix that you want, or if you don't want to make them gluten-free, just use regular flour and leave out the xanthan gum that is called for in the recipe! These cookies are SO yummy, I hope you give them a try! Thanks for stopping by!