Monday, February 10, 2014

One Bowl Chocolate Cake:

I don't know who it was that started the connection between Valentine's Day and Chocolate, but whoever it was, they were pretty smart!! This cake is SO easy and it would be perfect for an easy, yummy Valentine's treat!!! I've been looking for a good cake recipe for a while now, and when I came across this one, I thought it was too good to be true!! Being a food-blogger, it's my duty to try out all kinds of recipes. It's a hard job, but someone's gotta do it! So, doing my "duty" I made this chocolate cake! And it.was.good!!!!!! I hope you'll do your "duty" as well and give this recipe a try!
 
 
Cake:
2 cups flour
1 tsp. xanthan gum
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup baking cocoa
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup canola oil
1 cup buttermilk (see note)
2 eggs
1 cup hot water
 
Frosting:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup milk
1 & 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 tblsp. baking cocoa
3 cups powder sugar
 
For the cake:
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, xanthan gum, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add oil, buttermilk and eggs; mix well. Add water and mix until well combined. It may seem runny, but that's how it's supposed to be! Pour into a greased, 9x13 baking dish or a large sheet pan or jelly-roll pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake completely cool before frosting.
 
For the frosting:
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients. Using a hand mixer, mix until thoroughly combined. Add more milk, if desired, 1 tblsp. at a time, to reach desired consistency. I wanted mine to spread very easily, so I added 2-3 more tblsp. of milk than what the recipe calls for, but it's completely up to you.
 
Enjoy!!!
 
Note:
-I don't normally have buttermilk on hand, so I use this handy substitute:
Place 1 cup of milk in a small bowl. Add 1 tblsp. vinegar and gently stir. Let stand for 5 minutes and then add it to your recipe! Works great!
-I made this cake with the chocolate frosting, but you could use any kind you like.
This Peanut Butter Frosting would probably be really good on it!!!!
 
post signature

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog over the weekend and literally spent hours going through your recipes. Your blog is my new favorite! Thanks for sharing! :)

Karissa Brazeal said...

Aw, Thank you SO much for your sweet comment!!! I'm so glad you are enjoying the blog!! Have a great day!