Monday, April 4, 2016

{Chocolate Rice Crispy Treats}

I have a huge weakness for these Double Chocolatey Chunk Rice Crispy Treats.
I only ever buy them when I am traveling somewhere, so honestly I only have one of these a few times a year. BUT, I always get the one that's like, oh I don't know, 6 inches long or something? Not the short ones, definitely!
I don't know what it is about these crazy things, but I just love them!
Oh, and just in case you were wondering, they are also phenomenal with, ummm......chocolate milk.
Anyways, that's beside the point!!
The point is, that thankfully I don't have to wait until I'm traveling somewhere to have one of these now, because I can make them at home!!!
And so can you!!
I hope you try them out!!



9 cups cocoa pebbles (or any gluten-free chocolate rice cereal)
3 cups chocolate chips, divided
1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter
2 (10 oz) packages mini marshmallows
1 & 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt

Place cereal and 1 cup chocolate chips in a large bowl; set aside.
Line a 9x13-inch baking dish with foil. Lightly coat with cooking spray and set aside.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Once melted, add marshmallows, vanilla and salt. Stir continually until marshmallows are melted and mixture is smooth.
Pour marshmallow mixture over the cereal. Stir quickly, but make sure that all the cereal is well coated.
Pour into prepared pan and press down with a spatula. Then use the bottom of a glass or something sturdy and flat, and press down all over the mixture to make it as even as possible.
Melt the remaining 2 cups of chocolate chips...I do this in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, but you can also use the microwave, if that works for you!
Once completely melted, pour over the rice crispy treats and spread evenly.
Let rest at room temperature until cool and set. Remove from the pan and discard the foil. Cut into squares and serve or store in an airtight container.

Note:
-The heat at which the better and marshmallows are melted is very important. If it's too hot, the better will almost scorch the marshmallows and they will melt too fast. The results are not a smooth and creamy consistency like you want.