Monday, November 14, 2016

Tater-Tot Breakfast Skillet:



My mother-in-law had this huge set of awesome cast-iron skillets that she didn't want anymore, so she gave them to me!!! I had always wanted some, but when I lived at home, we had a flat-surface stove, and whereas I LOVED that stove, you couldn't use cast-iron on them, because it's too heavy.

But! When I moved into my home now, we still have an awesome stove, but it has regular burners.
So I have lots and lots of things I want to try in these awesome skillets now!

This is the first thing that I made in them, and stay tuned, because more will definitely be coming your way!!

This was super fun, and really yummy!
Tater-Tots are always a good idea, and to use them for a crust is genius!
This recipe is really flexible too! It calls for sausage and bacon, but you could definitely just use one or the other if you prefer.
Of course, any kind of cheese you wanted to use would be fantastic!
And add whatever you want to your eggs! I threw in some diced bell peppers and onions, garlic powder, salt and pepper. 
But you could add in so many different things, depending on your taste...mushrooms, spinach, jalapeno peppers, etc., etc.,....the list could go on and on!!!

I hope you give it a try, and enjoy it as much as we did!
Dad, you would love this!!! I can't wait to make it for you!

P.S.
FYI: Breakfast for dinner is what I'm all about, but this also heated up great for breakfast the next day!


1 (32 oz) bag frozen Tater Tots
6 eggs
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups shredded cheese
3/4 cup cooked, crumbled sausage
3/4 cup fried, chopped bacon

(I used a cast iron skillet for this, but I'm sure you could use any skillet or even a pie plate or something...just so it has sides, and is oven safe!)

Line the tater tots in a single layer across the bottom of a greased skillet. Then line the outside edges of the pan (which will make a double layer, just around the outside).

Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, salt and pepper. Add a tablespoon of water.
Heat a skillet to medium heat, and scramble the eggs, cooking just until set, because they can finish cooking later. 
Remove the potatoes from the oven. Using the back of a spatula, measuring cup, glass...whatever you have that's flat, gently press the potatoes down, making a more solid, flat layer, like a crust. Make sure to get the ones on the sides too, pressing them into the side, not down. 
Sprinkle with one cup of cheese.
Add eggs and spread out as evenly as you can.
Sprinkle the sausage over the eggs, and cover with the remaining one cup of cheese.
Top with bacon.
Return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
Let stand 3-5 minutes before slicing.
Enjoy!!!


No comments: