Monday, December 19, 2016

{Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie}

Merry (week of) Christmas!!!

I am so excited for Christmas this year!
I mean, I'm always excited for Christmas, but this year is going to be a whole new ball game for me! That honestly makes me quite nervous to a point, but still excited!!
It's mine and Bradley's first Christmas together married, which is very exciting!
We're looking forward to celebrating the holidays with both of our families, and of course, each other!

There are usually already way too many desserts everywhere you go over the holidays, so why not add one more, right?! Christmas cookies are always a good idea, and how can you go wrong with one giant cookie?!

The more I use them, the more I fall in love with these cast iron skillets!
Especially after this little dessert.
The pictures in no way do it any amount of justice, it was so yummy!!!!!
I read a lot of different recipes trying to figure out which one to make first.
I found that a lot of them have you mix up cookie ingredients and then bake them in a skillet.
I settled on a version of this recipe, because I liked the idea of how everything was melted, mixed and baked all in the same pan.
I think it gives a flaky, pastry like crust, with all the goodness of a gooey, chocolate chip cookie in the center.
I don't really know how to give it enough credit!
I hope you try it out!!!


 


1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups + 2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 & 1/2 cups chocolate chips or chunks
Vanilla Ice Cream, optional

In a 10 or 12 inch cast iron skillet, begin melting the butter over medium heat, stirring often.
Once completely melted, reduce heat to low, and whisk in sugars. Stir continually until mixture is smooth and glossy.
Remove from heat, and chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes (pan and all).
Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
Stir in flour, xanthan gum, baking soda and salt. The mixture will be thick and sticky, so this may take a bit of elbow grease and some time, but be patient, it will eventually get all mixed in!
When the flour is pretty much incorporated, add chocolate and mix until well combined.
Spread the mixture evenly over the skillet.


Bake at 325 degrees F, for 25-30 minutes. The edges should be lightly golden brown, but the inside in the center should be slightly gooey still.
Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. 
Slice and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired!

Note:
-It's important to let the mixture cool lightly before adding the eggs, otherwise you will have slightly sweet scrambled eggs, which will not taste fantastic with chocolate chips.


No comments: