Monday, July 13, 2015

Dirt Dessert:




My Grandma used to make this recipe all the time. I remember her bringing it to a lot of church events. She generally would layer it in a brand-new flower pot, and put fake flowers in the top to give it the full "dirt" affect!
It had been so long since I had eaten any, and I had never actually made it.
Someone requested it for the 4th of July, so I thought why not!!
I was really happy with how fast and easy it was to make! I always thought it was one of those things that took a while to put together, but I was so wrong!
As you can tell from the picture below, we got our gluten-free sandwich cookies at Walmart. We have also tried the "Glutino" brand, and they are good as well!

With all the picnics, family reunions and get-together's that happen around this time of year, this is an excellent dessert that can be made way ahead AND feeds a crowd!
I hope you give this recipe a try this summer! I don't think you'll be disappointed!


2 ( 10.6 oz.) pkg. Gluten-Free chocolate sandwich cookies
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
1 cup powder sugar
3 & 1/2 cups milk
2 ( 3.4 oz.) boxes vanilla pudding mix
12 oz. container Whipped topping

Place cookies in a food processor, and pulse into crumbs; set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together butter, cream cheese, and powder sugar; set aside.
In another bowl, mix together milk and pudding mix. Fold in whipped topping.
Add cream cheese mixture to pudding mixture, and stir until well combined (I actually used a hand mixer for this).
Layer 1/3 of the cookie crumbs in a 9x13-inch baking dish. Press out evenly.
Pour half of the cream mixture over the cookies and gently spread out evenly.
Repeat, ending with cookies.
Allow to chill overnight before serving. 

Note:
-If you do not want this dish to be gluten-free, simply substitute a family-size package of regular Oreo's for the gluten-free cookies.
-This can also be frozen. Just allow to thaw for an hour or so before serving.


post signature

No comments: